Year : 2013 | Volume
: 3 | Issue : 2 | Page : 91--102
Concepts, aims, and drawbacks in interdisciplinary dentistry: Results of an international questionnaire
Gregor Slavicek1, Alexandra Makarevich2, Ivan Makarevich2, Ksenia Bulatova3
1 Steinbeis Transfer Institute Biotechnology Interdisciplinary Dentistry, Steinbeis Hochschule Berlin, 70599 Stuttgart, Germany
2 Clinic Novodenta, Cuvazovscog 2, 144010 Moscow, Russia
3 Vladimir Novikov's Dental Clinic, Lopukhinskiy Per., 3/3, 119034 Moscow, Russia
Aim: This article describes the results of an opinion survey among dentists and dental technician regarding interdisciplinary dental teamwork. Materials and Methods: An electronic Internet-based version was available only in Russian. In all, 250 questionnaires were handed out in paper form and 100 access codes for the Web-based version were sent. The survey was conducted between February and May 2011. All questionnaires were filled anonymously. Conclusions: Authors concluded, that inter disciplinarity should not be regarded as the opposite of technological specialization. On the contrary, advancing technological developments in IDD will probably enforce a certain degree of specialization. Therefore, in the future it will become necessary not to lose contact with other specialties, keep open communication lines by means of a common language and common concepts, and also maintain communication with other medical specialties. There may well be a greater need to impart these competences in the course of training and post-graduate training.
Clinical Relevance to Interdisciplinary Dentistry
Steinbeis Transfer Institute Biotechnology Interdisciplinary Dentistry, Steinbeis Hochschule Berlin, 70599 Stuttgart, Germany
- IDD is based on proper and adequate communication within the interdisciplinary team, but frequently mentioned problems of communication and difficulties when assemble an interdisciplinary team with a high conflict potential.
- More clear concepts of IDD are required and training concepts should be incorporated in undergraduate and postgraduate trainings.
- The negative correlation between work experience and desired share of IDD in daily routine initially permits the conclusion that negative perception concerning IDD exist.
- The negative correlation between work experience and the desired share of IDD in one«SQ»s daily work is an alarming signal and should be considered in future studies.
- Cooperation between specialties functions, mainly within closely related specialties. The need for interdisciplinary treatment concepts, however, is widely dispersed.
|How to cite this article:|
Slavicek G, Makarevich A, Makarevich I, Bulatova K. Concepts, aims, and drawbacks in interdisciplinary dentistry: Results of an international questionnaire.J Interdiscip Dentistry 2013;3:91-102
|How to cite this URL:|
Slavicek G, Makarevich A, Makarevich I, Bulatova K. Concepts, aims, and drawbacks in interdisciplinary dentistry: Results of an international questionnaire. J Interdiscip Dentistry [serial online] 2013 [cited 2020 May 29 ];3:91-102
Available from: http://www.jidonline.com/article.asp?issn=2229-5194;year=2013;volume=3;issue=2;spage=91;epage=102;aulast=Slavicek;type=0